Friday, December 10, 2010

Jay and Nick

Before I wrote this I had to think about what defines friendship. A friend is a companion, someone you like and trust, can share things with and is there for you.

 Nick and Gatsby have a strange relationship. They probably wouldn't be talking to each other if Gatsby didn't want to meet Daisy. Towards  the end of chapter five I almost feel like Gatsby forgot about Nick. In some ways I understand since this is the first time in a long time that Gatsby gets to see Daisy but at the same time it's like Nick is forgotten because his help isn't needed any more. Nick doesn't seem to necessarily like Gatsby. It just seems like he's interested in Gatsby's mysterious ways.

 There is however something between them that feels like their going to become close friends. Nick is willing to help Gatsby and kind of supports him when he gets nervous about meeting Daisy. Gatsby tells Nick about himself and his past which he doesn't do for most people. In some ways they fit my definition of friendship. For now though I say they're more on the verge of becoming friends but haven't made it there yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment