Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Moment I knew I was an American

I don't know if I have ever had one of those moments in which I truly felt like an American. I think the reason why that was is because it can be hard to define what being an American is supposed to feel like and I guess I never  gave it any thought. The other day the class discussed what defined an American. It was kind of tricky but some good points came up. Some things that were said was that an American is a person who has the freedom and opportunity to become whoever he or she desires no matter how they start off.

I thought about that and about how my life is right now. I realized that I do have lots of opportunities in life that a lot of people in other countries don't. I thought about how in other countries going from the bottom to the top is so hard to do and maybe even impossible at times. In my human geography class last year I learned about a caste system in certain countries that can't be broken. So, I feel grateful to be an American and to be able to achieve whatever dream I have and not really be hindered by anything.

1 comment:

  1. What is your definition of an "American?" We can all see Americans as being those with more opportunities, but aren't some these same chances given in other countries? America is in a recession. This ultimately limits your chancing, so wouldn't it be better to go to a place where the vast majority of people of flourishing, while there is also the option of prosperring in these troubled times? Can't be be seen that America will ultimately become corrupt. Look at governot Legoiavich(I don't know if I spelled that right). Look at mayor Daley.

    ReplyDelete